Sacred Music at the Basilica
“Sacred music also carries out another task, that of bringing together Christian history: in the liturgy, Gregorian chant, polyphony, popular music and contemporary music resonate. It is as though, in that moment, there were all the past and present generations praising God, each with its own sensitivity.” ~ Pope Francis
The Basilica Organ: Austin Organ Co. (Opus 1522, 1928)
Organ by Austin Organ Co. Opus 1522 1928 Great Choir Swell Pedal 16' Double Diapason 8' English Diapason 16' Lieblich Gedeckt 32' Resultant 8' First Diapason 8' Melodia 8' Open Diapason 16' Open Diapason 8' Gross Flute 8' Dulciana 8' Stopped Flute 16' Second Diapason (Gt.) 8' Violoncello 8' Unda Maris 8' Viole'de Orchestre 16' Bourdon 8' Gemshorn 4' Gemshorn 8' Viole Celeste 16' Lieblich Gedeckt (Sw.) 4' Octave 8' Clarinet 4' Principal 8' Major Flute 4' Waldflute Tremolo 4' Harmonic Flute 8' Bourdon 2 2/3 Twelvth 2' Flautino 16' Tuba Profunda (ext. Gt.) 2' Super Octave 8' Trumpet 8' Tuba 8' Oboe Chimes 8' Vox Humana Tremolo
- 31 ranks. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 31 stops. 35 registers.
- Chests: Austin Universal Air, Chest Type(s): Austin Universal Air chests
- Position: In gallery-level chambers at the rear of the room.
- Manuals: 3
- Divisions: 4
- Stops: 31
- Registers: 35
- Position: Movable console.
- Manual Compass: 61
- Pedal Compass: 32
- Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
- Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
- Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
- Stop Controls: Stop keys above top manual.
- Combination Action: 'Hold and Set' pneumatic/mechanical system.
- Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
- Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
- Has Crescendo Pedal
- Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Pistons
- Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
- Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
- Has Combination Action Toe Pistons
- Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Pistons
- Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons